Conference Call – April 12, 2022 9:03 a.m.
Board Members Present: Jamie Sommer, Scott Vanderlin, Lindsey Carpino, Carrie Port, Sarah Andeen, Mandy Lee, and Tom Keefe
Board Members Absent: None
Guests: No Guests
I. Call meeting to order – President Jamie Sommer called the meeting to order at 9:03 a.m.
II. Approve agenda – The agenda was approved.
III. Approve Secretary’s minutes – The March meeting minutes were approved.
IV. Treasurer’s Report
a. Harris Balances as of April 1,2021: $20,857.13 in our CD and $ 16,632.28 in checking.
b. Membership numbers: 219 active members.
V. Old Business
a. 75th Anniversary planning updates: The committee would like some feedback on what items to order to celebrate the event and how many to order and what is the budget. We discussed all of them and decided that the larger tote would be the most useful. Many people are not going into an office so do not need a lunch tote. Blankets are good, but only need one. Everyone loves a good tote bag.
Items they are considering ordering:
1. https://www.printglobe.com/blankets ($12-20 per item)
2. Land’s end lunch tote – 8.50 + logo cost
3. Logo printed canvas bag – 10.90 ea
4. Logo printed canvas bag – 6.90 ea
5. Notebooks – 12.50 ea
6. Make an anniversary t-shirt? The benefit is they are cheaper to get in bulk, and it could have a retro-anniversary / logo design. The only issue is sizing where maybe we would just buy x amount of Smalls, x amount of Larges, etc, rather than take size requests
7. Maybe an idea to create a grant/scholarship for a 75th award – they are following up with grants and awards.
8. One programing idea would be a Day in the Life to revive it. Library Students would shadow a librarian. Might work better now if it were virtual.
9. Events – $53 per person for cocktail party at the Columbia Yacht Club. Another venue could be the Rosemont Dogs Baseball – $40 events. We think the Yacht club is a better option. Going to go back to the committee to say follow up with the vendors to see if they will underwrite the whole thing and if not we will charge members part of it. Need to move on this as dates are filling.
10. Looking at programming events and also getting congratulations letters from various people in the legal community.
11. Following up with Archives to see if there is anything there. Should follow up with Claire to see what has already been digitized.
b. May Business Meeting plans: Confirmed speaker – Co-Founder/CEO Kristen Sonday of Paladin – Pro Bono Legal tech company that helps firms manage their pro bono
VI. New Business
a. Chapter audit; CALL certified as non-profit – We should be audited because at least one vendor will not donate without certification and an audit. No help from the AALL Counsel of Chapter President. Thought that maybe Kim Rundell or AALL staff might know. We think this is a good idea.
b. AALL Chapter VIP program – Suggest that Grants try to find someone. But seems unlikely based on past experience to find someone.
c. New Board members: transition & May Board meeting invites. Mandy Lee (VP-Pres Elect), Jill Meyer (director), Todd Hilmer (treasurer) Mandy please reach out to Jill and Tom reach out to Todd. Will ask Jill and Todd to sit in on the May meeting.
VII. Committee Reports
a. Archives – Tom – They are working with the 75th on photos.
b. Bulletin – Sarah – No updates
c. Bylaws – Jamie – No updates
d. Community Service –Carrie –Added to meetings committee charge to make sure to let community service know as soon as the speaker is confirmed. Since they are trying to tie them to the speaker’s interest they would like to know as soon as possible. Response thoughts are that they do not have to keep it tied so tightly to the speaker. Honestly they can just pick someone that will benefit the community. Can come up with a list regular organizations that are good backburner ones.
e. Continuing Education – Tom – Joint program with mentorship on Adaptive Leadership on April 20th and another one with SLA on May 20th.
f. Corporate Memory – Sarah – No updates
g. Government Relations – Mandy – Holding a joint meeting and are looking for speakers.
h. Grants & Chapter Awards – Lindsey – No updates
i. Meetings – Scott – No updates
j. Membership – Lindsey – Question as to what kind of membership can someone have who is taking a leave of absence from the profession. Will still qualify for a regular member.
k. Mentorship – Mandy – Adaptive Leadership session. Will be linking to member articles in Spectrum.
l. Nominations & Elections – Jamie – No updates
m. Placement/Recruitment – Carrie – Attended the GLAM fair. Spoke to 11 students and talked up CALL.
n. Public Relations – Scott – They have a meeting planned for today to go over things. One topic is the thought of a logo/banner for the website. Creating other images. Are there any deadlines? ASAP would be good. They are also going to put together a list of CALL people who will be speaking at AALL once that is available.
o. Strategic Planning – Carrie – Will update the tracker but no updates from the committee.
VIII. Adjournment – The meeting adjourned at 9:54 a.m.