The 2015-2016 Continuing Education Committee was Carolyn Hersch and Jesse Bowman (co-chairs), Tom Keefe, David Rogers, Jamie Stewart, Simone Srinivasan, and Sharon Nelson. During the 2015-2016 year, the CALL Continuing Education Committee organized and hosted three events.
Details of these events were as follows:
Forecasting Opportunities for Rainmakers: Librarians as Strategic Partners to Lawyers
- Held at Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg on Tuesday, October 20, 2015
- Moderated by a representative from Manzama, a current awareness service for law firms, a panel of three speakers discussed working collaboratively with marketing and business development teams, embedding with industry and practice groups, moving from providing information to providing intelligence, and marketing library services internally.
- The three speakers were:
- Approximately 15-20 CALL members attended the event
Prospect Research and Competitive Intelligence
- Held on February 17, 2016
- A joint webinar with the Illinois and Minnesota chapters of the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA)
- The webinar featured two speakers who discussed the work of prospect researchers and competitive intelligence professionals. The speakers addressed the skills, tools, and intricacies of both professions and how they relate to each other over the divide of nonprofit vs. for profit organizations.
- The two speakers were:
- Darren Cooper, Head of Prospect Research Team, Mayo Clinic
- Jerry Burch, Manager of Global Research, Latham & Watkins
- Approximately 30 CALL members registered for the webinar
Introduction to the New York Law Institute
- Held on April 6, 2016
- A joint webinar with the New York Law Institute
- The webinar introduced CALL members to the New York Law Institute (NYLI), a responsive membership organization that acts as a portal to legal information by offering state of the art functionality and services. The webinar covered the NYLI’s enhanced services which feature customized access to essential, unique, and hard-to-find legal information in a cost-effective, efficient, and personalized manner.
- 23 CALL members registered for the webinar
In addition to organizing these events, the Committee evaluated several webinar providers and ultimately recommend Join.Me. This product was chosen based on its low price, number of available seats for conferences (250), and availability of technical support (Monday-Friday, 24 hours).
Finally, instead of organizing an Institute Day for the spring, the Committee decided to postpone the event until fall of 2016.
Carolyn Hersch and Jesse Bowman will be co-chairing the Continuing Education Committee again in 2016-2017 and plan to organize a variety of in-person and virtual events for the membership.